NOTE: This frosting is not recommended for those who are going to AA. My “secret ingredient” is half a shot of booze sometimes in addition to vanilla, sometimes in lieu of the vanilla.
This has become my go-to frosting recipe. It’s simple, quick, and hard to mess up. Most recently it complimented a Trader Joe’s Bourbon Vanilla Cake, which I frosted and then loaded up the top with a pound of fresh raspberries and a small sprinkle of dried blueberries. Unfortunately, the cake was devoured before pictures could be taken.
The biggest problems I’ve had in following this recipe has been lumpy frosting because I forgot to take butter out of the fridge early enough for it to soften properly. Vodka also isn’t as sweet of a spirit, and I think the time I used a splash of it, I also added triple sec to “balance it out.” This recipe is also the quintessential example of the fact that I judge “by feel” rather than strict adherence to measurements.
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup-2 cups confectioners sugar
- Dash of vanilla
- Dash of liquor-such as whiskey, spiced rum, regular rum, vodka, or triple sec
- Using hand or stand mixer, beat the butter for like 30 seconds.
- Add in the cream cheese and mix both together until smooth.
- Shake in as much confectioners sugar as you like. I eyeball this part and guess that I use maybe about a cup total.
- Pour in the dash of vanilla and also around a half shot of whatever booze you have on hand. Last time I made it, I used mid-shelf whiskey. On different occasions I’ve used vodka or rum or whatever.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Adjust sugar to taste.
- Enjoy! Frost a cake or eat it out of the bowl, whatever your fancy.