My husband, Derek, is the one with the mad sweet breakfast skills. After my several failed attempts at french toast that nearly led to the house burning down, he’s permanently been given sweet breakfast duties. This is his recipe for to-die-for pancakes that I’ve yet to make on my own. I’ve copied out his written recipe in full, but I believe he has trade secrets not listed here–such as warming the milk up first and using room temperature eggs (I’ll have to ask him and update the post later). I encourage you to try the recipe, however, and let me know if the amazing-ness can be replicated by others’ hands.
- 1 Cup Ground Oatmeal or Oatmeal Flour
- 1/2 Cup Whole Grain Flour
- 1/2 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp each: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove
- 1 1/3 Cup Milk
- 2 Ripe Bananas, mashed
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- Pre-heat cast iron griddle to medium temperature.
- Combine first 8 ingredients and mix well.
- Combine all wet ingredients and stir well.
- Add dry to the wet. Stir lightly until smooth. Do not over-mix. It should be clumpy.
Feeds 4-5 people. To up the ante, top with blueberries and/or chopped almonds or walnuts.