I made this cake for a friend’s party, but it smelled so good coming out of the oven I wanted to scarf it down immediately, sans frosting. A lot of carrot cake recipes have nuts or pineapple or applesauce in them. This recipe is simple and to the point: a delicious cake. It also makes great cupcakes (just begin checking done-ness at around 15 minutes) or can be doubled to make a large 9 x 13 x 2 rectangular cake.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the two eggs. Add sugars, vanilla, and oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the grated carrots to the wet mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 9 x 2″ pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Frost with a mildly sweet cream cheese frosting, like my “Good with Everything” cream cheese frosting and enjoy!