I’ve made this cake about three or four times in as many weeks. Every time it has come out quite tasty. I’ve used both a bundt pan and a pyrex 9×13 to cook it up. I’ve tossed some of the apples on the bottom of the pan and put the rest in batter, or mixed them all in the batter. Basically, it’s a hard cake to screw up. Cake’s a bit of a misnomer as it’s more like a delicious apple muffin. Slather some frosting on it, either a glaze or some cream cheese frosting if you want a more cake-like experience. I imagine it could also be turned into muffins easily, just adjust the bake time.
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp flax meal (optional)
- 2 3/4 Cups flour
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp (heaping) cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp cloves
- 1 Cup walnuts
- 1/4 Cup dried blueberries (optional)
- 4-6 Apples, diced (any good cooking apples- I’ve used cortlands and crispins before)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the apples and coat with a dash of cinnamon.
- Mix the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl.
- Combine the flax (optional), flour, salt, and spices together in a separate bowl.
- Mix the flour mixture into the egg and sugar mixture until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and dried berries (optional).
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Pour into an oiled 9×13 pan or a bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Try not to eat it all in one day, it’s that tasty!